Wednesday, July 2, 2008

1 week, 5 lbs gained

So a week I've been equally dreading and looking forward to has passed. That being my 30th Bday/Bachelor party? Well why a week you ask? Well, I can't help but lump in my friend Layla's 30th in that as its 6 days ahead of mine and this year I decided to put my own memorable or in my case, not so memorable stamp on her bday.

It all started 2 Friday's ago when as pseudo-reward for a few ridiculously LONG nights at work one of my vendor's decided that to suck up he'd take me and some colleagues to the Cubs/Sox game and sit in the bleachers. I started drinking that day at 11AM (this is a theme). We caught part of BP and the entire game through Rami's walk-off!! First off, what a game!! The bleachers were awesome (as they always are). Of course we had to celebrate the big win with some shots post game. I'm not sure but I think I ended up at a bar called Red Ivy at some point. You'll have to forgive me but a lot of what I'm telling you now I got second hand as well I pretty much blacked out at this point.

So somehow I got home before my buddy Pete picked me up for Layla's bday dinner that same night. Now I'm not sure how exactly it happened but Rachelle got me out of my Cubs gear and into something more appropriate for a nice dinner. I checked the pictures and amazingly I looked very put together for the event. Little did Layla know that she was about to get a clown for her birthday.

I spent the rest of the weekend recovering (my in-laws who happened to come in for the weekend were quite forgiving of my condition) and apologizing to all parties involved. It seems I didn't make too big a fool of myself at Layla's. Everyone said I was quite funny and at some point Mr. Hodi convinced me to form my own company.

Fast forward to Wednesday where Howard took me to my 2nd comes game in 5 days. I think its funny that I was on the same schedule as the starting pitcher as I got to see Ted Lilly pitch 2x in a week. Howard wanted some father/son bonding time prior to the nuptials and who am I go to turn down a Cubs game. We had great seats and a great time all around. I think we need to make this a tradition.

So next stop is Friday and my 30th, which was thrown by Jax and Rachelle an Tony and Jackie's place. I didn't really want to make a big deal out of my bday as thats just my thing but Rachelle insisted on doing it up and what a great job. They decorated the place in "Andro's Favorite Things" which included footballs, baseballs and Transformers (a shout out to my childhood...or is it?). We got my fav hazelnut/choco cake from Oak Mill Bakery and grilled out on their patio. totally great night and good to see so many of my friends. Tine and Andy came down for the weekend along with Dr. Fung and my parents even showed up. I think its great that we're finally at a point where its cool to invite your parents to your parties. They seemed a little ackward but I think that's just because they're not used to being around my friends. Hopefully we can change that.

As if the weekend couldn't be any more eventful the next day was my Bachelor party. I made it clear from the beginning that I didn't want to make a big deal about my bachelor party, but Jim would have none of it. After much deliberation I decided we'd just hang out and catch more Cubs/Sox and drink with boys. I know what you're thinking...what about the strippers? Not really my thing. Normally I wouldn't be so against it but every bachelor party I've been to with strippers has involved the groom in some sort of comprimising position and frankly as much as I like drawing attention to myself..I prefer to do so under my own controlled measures.

So we drank and drank and drank. For me, at least, 14 hours of drinking from noon to 2AM. Most of the boys hung on as long as they could but that's a long time. I admit though..I cheated. I was popping Chasers all night to 1) prevent a hangover and 2) increase my tolerance. So I barely got drunk. Had one moment of weakness but that was mostly due to a bad combination of drinks (tequila, pale ale and whiskey...bah).

The girls were all about during they're bachelorette party thing. Rachelle lived so I guess it was a success. She was passed out when I got home and apparently danced the night away. Good times all around and thanks to everyone involved.

So after my week of marathon drinking coupled with lots of left over cake. I have gained 5 lbs putting my net weight loss to 10 lbs. Oh well, I'll guess I'll have to hit the gym a bit harder this week.

17 more days...see you in Bayfield (oh and bring bug spray.....its a wedding in the woods!! what did you think?)

2 comments:

Starring Brooklyn and Alexis said...

I hope for your sake Brett doesn't find out that you "Barely got drunk" for your bachelor's fiesta. he feels bad enough that he wasn't there to participate in the festivities, so I'm pretty sure he's going to make it his own personal mission to make sure you have at least one drunk night prior to tying the knot.

Andro Dio said...

Well let's just hope that we don't play our usual drunken game of which one can get a black eye first...